Rescuing a GPT ZFS boot setup

Andy Moran amoran at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 07:41:49 UTC 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 8:16 PM, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 20.09.2013 06:34, Andy Moran wrote:
>> WIth the 10-ALPHA2 LiveCD, I get:
>>
>> gpart: attrib 'active': Device not configured
>>

> GPT partitions don't have active attribute. You should omit -i argument.
> Just run `gpart unset -a active ada0`.
>
> --
> WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov
>
> --
> WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov

That ran without errors.. but sadly did not solve my problem of the UEFI not recognizing it as a bootable disk.     I think the problem is my particular UEFI doesn't recognize GPT drives that don't have an EFI partition on them.

So I gave up.  My server has been down for too long.   I took half the zfs mirror, created it with a MBR partition and installed FreeBSD 9.2 on it, and my UEFI can boot it in legacy mode.   From there I can mount the other half of the mirror and copy files off.   A painful process but at least I have a way forward.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Andy