Rescuing a GPT ZFS boot setup

Andrew Moran amoran at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 13:43:42 UTC 2013

Alas, that did not work.     But it does look to be BIOS related.

I think this new system has a UEFI bios.

I just read from https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI:
	* Partitions not seen. When using GPT, FreeBSD will create a protective MBR. This MBR has one partition entry covering the whole disk. FreeBSD marks this partition active. This causes at least some UEFI implementations to ignore the GPT. To fix this the partition needs to be marked inactive.
	* Filesystem not seen. FreeBSD's FAT32 code appears to sometimes create filesystems that the UEFI code can't properly read. If the filesystem is small enough, use FAT16 or FAT12 instead.

I think this may be my issue.  But 9.1 LiveCD does boot and I can see the data once booted, so there must be a way to fix the boot loader on the drive to work.

  Is there a way for me to reinstall the MBR or boot partition on the drives to make it boot up with this BIOS?  :(

Thanks.

--Andy