zfs_enable vs zfs_load in loader.conf (but neither works)

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Mon Sep 9 23:11:11 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 21:20, J David wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Darren Pilgrim
> <list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com> wrote:
>> You can use zfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:data/root" in /boot/loader.conf
>> instead of an fstab entry.
>
> That has been in loader.conf the whole time.
>
>> Mountpoint=legacy is required either way.
>
> It isn't.  There is another machine right next to it running 9.2-RC1
> and it works fine with the mountpoint=/ setting and an empty fstab.

I installed 9.0 onto my machine booting from zfs about a year and a half
ago and remember having issues getting it bootable. As I recall
mounpoint=legacy and mountpoint=/ effectively point to two different
filesystems.

Changing the mounpoint after installing hides the / filesystem.

So it isn't so much which mountpoint to use but which mountpoint *was*
used when you installed the system.