zfs_enable vs zfs_load in loader.conf (but neither works)

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Mon Sep 9 03:11:57 UTC 2013

On 9/8/2013 7:52 PM, J David wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Darren Pilgrim
> <list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com> wrote:
>> Did you build and install new boot blocks?
>
> Yes.
>
> Oddly, setting:
>
> zfs set mountpoint=legacy data/root  (plus the appropriate fstab entry)

You can use zfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:data/root" in /boot/loader.conf
instead of an fstab entry.  Mountpoint=legacy is required either way.

> instead of
>
> zfs set mountpoint=/ data/root

This only applies to Solaris, IIRC.

> seems to produce a bootable system, although it absolutely should not
> be necessary to do things that way anymore.

I ran into that problem as well.  The instructions for root-on-zfs for
9.x (at least as of 9.1) are wrong--you need to use the 8.x-style
instructions with mountpoint=legacy for / and, for fresh installs,
leaving the pool imported and copying over /boot/zfs/zpool.cache.