Package database

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Wed Sep 4 20:07:19 UTC 2013

Quoth Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Jim Ballantine <j.ballantine at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > My /var/db/pkg has become corrupt, and I can't find an archive of it to
> > install in it's place.  Does one exist and if so where?  If not any ideas
> > on
> > how to rebuild the db?
>
> Are you using PKGng or the old pkg_* tools?
>
> Meaning, is your data stored as individual files under
> /var/db/pkg/PORTNAME/*, or as a single sqlite database under /var/db/pkg?
>
> If using PKGng, there's a backup copy under /var/db/backup*
>
> If using the older pkg_* tools, you're screwed.  :)

With either package system /etc/periodic/daily/220.backup-pkgdb backs up
the whole of /var/db/pkg into /var/backups/pkgdb.bak.tbz*.

With pkgng /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/411.pkg-backup also backs up
the pkgng db into /var/backups/pkgng.db; probably this means
220.backup-pkgdb should be turned off, but this doesn't happen by
default.

Ben