x11 hangs unkillable on 10.0-BETA1

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 18:03:00 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Wolfgang Zenker
<wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org>wrote:

> * Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> [131027 06:10]:
> > On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM, illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> using
>
> >> [..]
> >> is one of those terrible i915 or something video cards.  Ugh.
>
> This is a pre-Lenovo T42p and X identifies the graphics card as an
> [AMD/ATI] RV350/M10 GL [Mobility FireGL T2] rev 128
>
> > I am surprised by this. I have a T42 with the Intel 3000 graphics card
> and
> > it has worked quite well for me. I use mplayer, vlc, and (primarily) xine
> > on it.  I use the default video output device for all. I thought the
> > default was Xv, but I could well be wrong. It's been working for me on
> > stable for well over a year. I started using it when kib made patches
> > available, but I have been running the committed version.
>
> > Just to confirm, you have WITH_NEW_XORG=YES and WITH_KMS=YES in
> > /etc/make.conf and have built all X ports and the kernel with these
> options.
>
> So far I have not tried WITH_NEW_XORG=YES, beause AFAIR that would not
> allow me to switch back to console after starting X11.

No, WITH_NEW_XORG has nothing to do with this. It's KMS on Intel graphics
that prevents getting a vty after X is started. Well. actually is is th
display of vty that fails. You can still type commands and they are
executed. You can, for example, restart X (startx). NEW_XORG is mostly the
new MESA code that no linger supports older version of may cards. What
results would be on your RV350, I can't say.  Once you go to 10, you can
build WITH_GALIUM and, hopefully shortly after that newcons will be ready
and the problem of returning to console mode will be over.  That said, I am
not sure whether KMS support will make any difference on your system.

I do recommend starting without an xorg.conf file. It almost always works
at a basic level. Then, if that works, with or without WITH_NEW_XORG=YES,
you can add "extras" like optional fonts, or additional modules. Mine is
pretty short.