Going from -STABLE to -RELEASE with freebsd-update support?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 16:52:05 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Michael Sperber <sperber at deinprogramm.de>wrote:

> Mathieu Arnold <mat at mat.cc> writes:
>
> > One easy way to do it would be to use freebsd-update directly, say you're
> > running 8.3-STABLE and want to go to 8.4-RELEASE :
> >
> > # UNAME_r=8.3-RELEASE freebsd-update -r 8.4-RELEASE upgrade
> >
> > It'll trick freebsd-update into thinking it's running on 8.3-RELEASE,
> which
> > is more or less not that untrue, and it'll run the normal upgrade process
> > to 8.4.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Last I checked, freebsd-update looked at the actual files and their
> checksums, and would refuse to run if it doesn't find what it expects.
> Will setting UNAME_r override this?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mike

Another way is to simply update to  8.4-RELEASE and start using
freebsd-update from that point. I you are using svn, use the switch command
to change the repo branch from stable/8 to release/8.4.0. Then update
/usr/src and run the normal 'make' operations to get to 8.4-RELEASE. Make
sure that you are either running  a GENERIC kernel or install one into
/boot. You're ready to go.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com