if_re NIC ping responds only after manual re-create or dhclient

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Fri Oct 18 14:23:46 UTC 2013

I compiled a clean world and GENERIC kernel, then updated the system.
I moved if_re0 to another slot on the board and installed an old if_sis in
the slot previously occupied by if_re0. Just to be sure, I also installed
if_fxp0 and if_rl0 cards.
After re-configuring /etc/rc.conf and adding static IP's for all 5 cards
(if_re1 is integrated to the mobo) I rebooted. Subsequent ping tests showed:
sis0 and fxp0 can ping to itself
re0, re1, rl0 cannot ping to itself.
The test was repeated by changing the PCI slots where NICs were plugged-in.
Unless any objections, I will file a PR on Monday.

-----
FreeBSD-9.2-stable_amd64_root-on-zfs_clang-only-world