[geli] 10.0-BETA1, passphrase and keyboard detection

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Tue Oct 15 15:33:42 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a very fresh installation of FreeBSD 10.0-BETA1 with GELI
encrypted disks and ZFS filesystem, and I encounter a problem when
kernel asks for passphrase.

The keyboard is detected after the passphrase ask and is like "loked"
for several seconds before I can use it to enter and validate the
passphrase.

Is this something normal?

Here is the dmesg:

First, passphrase asked, no keyboard detected:

Enter passphrase for ada0p3: ugen1.2:

Seconds after, keyboard detected but not usable:

<Logitech> at usbus1
ukbd0: <Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/23.00, addr
2> on usbus1
ugen5.2: <vendor 0x0461> at usbus5
kbd2 at ukbd0

Here I missed the first try:

GEOM_ELI: Wrong key for ada0p3. Tries left: 2.
Enter passphrase for ada0p3:

Enter the passphrase successfuly.

GEOM_ELI: Device ada0p3.eli created.
GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 256
GEOM_ELI:     Crypto: software

Raw dmesg:

Enter passphrase for ada0p3: ugen1.2: <Logitech> at usbus1
ukbd0: <Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/23.00, addr
2> on usbus1
ugen5.2: <vendor 0x0461> at usbus5
kbd2 at ukbd0
GEOM_ELI: Wrong key for ada0p3. Tries left: 2.
Enter passphrase for ada0p3: GEOM_ELI: Device ada0p3.eli created.

--
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent at peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail.