Trouble building/upgrading 9-stable

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 9 09:44:01 UTC 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 01:39, Johannes Totz <johannes at jo-t.de> wrote:
> I'm having trouble upgrading a system running 9-stable to a new revision. buildworld always dies with an "internal compiler error" during lib/clang/libllvminstcombine.
> /usr/src/lib/clang/libllvminstcombine/../../../contrib/llvm/lib/Transforms/InstCombine/InstCombineCompares.cpp:1649: internal compiler error: in memory_address_length, at config/i386/i386.c:13897

Since the tinderboxes for stable/9 are green, it is most likely your machine has a hardware problem.  You should at least run two or three full passes of memtest on your machine: this type of error typically occurs when data in RAM gets corrupted.

If you can't find any hardware problems, you could try to switch off building clang, using WITHOUT_CLANG in your src.conf.  However, if your hardware cannot be trusted, all bets are off... :)

-Dimitry