Build failure for 9.2-RELEASE

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 5 20:51:32 UTC 2013

from Shane Ambler:
> On 03/10/2013 17:14, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > I failed with "make buildworld" on 9.2, building from a 9.2
> > prerelease.
>
> > svn revision on system to be built was 255986.
>
> > uname -a shows
>
> > FreeBSD amelia2 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #17 r254196:
> > Sun Aug 11 00:36:49 UTC 2013
> > root at amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64

> PRERELEASE would be from stable/9 - RELEASE from releng/9.2
> Did you svn up on the stable branch or checkout releng/9.2?

> > I had MODULES_WITH_WORLD=yes in /etc/make.conf to avoid the
> > redundancy and annoyance of rebuilding modules every time I build a
> > new kernel, like if I want a more portable kernel (for a USB-stick
> > install) as well as my custom kernel.
>
> > Point of failure seemed to be in module dtrace.
>
> > I have in kernel config
>
> > #options        KDTRACE_FRAME           # Ensure frames are compiled
> > in #options        KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks
>
> > Maybe I need to reenable these?

> The 9.2 release notes says "DTrace hooks have been enabled by default in
> the GENERIC kernel" so they should already be enabled.

I failed again on "make buildworld".  svn revision 256062

This time, problem module was rdma.

I see the DTrace hooks were enabled in GENERIC, but not in my config from 9.1.

I did svn up on stable/9 branch.

Maybe building modules with world is too hazardous?

But then how do I avoid building all modules redundantly whenever I rebuild the kernel from same source tree?

It seems the system is hell-bent on building all modules every time, even if I have "-DNO_MODULES" on make command line, or
WITHOUT_MODULES=ulpt (or usb/ulpt) in make.conf or src.conf .

What modules do I need anyway, and how do I know so as not to miss something vital?  Most seem to duplicate functions that already appear in kernel config.

I believe Linux kernel config offers y (build as part of kernel), m (build as module) and n (don't build).

I don't need to support every Ethernet adapter and every outdated SCSI adapter.

Tom