FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE stability?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 1 08:09:46 UTC 2013

> I have just upgraded two virtual machines running on ESXi. They are i386
> with 256Mb of RAM and one CPU, with just a few ports installed (sudo and
> screen and dependencies). They don't do much job (low-traffic authoritative
> nameservers for a dozen of domains). I upgraded by freebsd-update. I don't
> see any problems so far. Also my laptop is 9-STABLE amd64 (currently at
> r255867) and I do not have any more problems than usual (the unfortunate
> AR9285 wifi adapter).

> Marko Cupać

I've been looking for Atheros support in FreeBSD, especially HEAD.

In my case it's an MSI motherboard, Z77 MPOWER, with onboard Ethernet chip Realtek 8111E and wifi chip Atheros AR9271.

It looks like AR9271 and AR9285 are supported in NetBSD-current, you can view NetBSD man pages online.

I intend to try, not to abandon FreeBSD: update to 9.2-RELEASE on older MSI motherboard and build FreeBSD-current for the Z77 MPOWER.

Tom