ZFS crashing while zfs recv in progress

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Wed May 29 09:59:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013 11:04:00 +0200, Pascal Braun, Continum
<pascal.braun at continum.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to send a zfs pool from an old freebsd 9.0 installation to a
> new machine with freebsd 9.1. The pool is quite heavy (about 16TB, lots
> of snapshots) and the receiving side keeps crashing on me. The command
> used to transfer (run on the old 9.0 installation):
> zfs send -R tank at snapshot | ssh 10.10.xx.xx zfs recv -F -d -v tank
>

> After a few hours the system stops all writing and I can't start any new
> processes. Processes still running like 'zpool iostat' are still
> working, or at least it is still reporting something. To me it looks
> like the filesystem just disappeared. Unfortunately I'm running root on
> zfs so I don't have any logs about this.
> The only message I sometimes find on the console are about not being
> able to write to swap, which is also on zfs.
>

> Do you have any ideas? I don't even know where to start.

Please send more information about the new server. Sometimes there are
bugs found in drivers with large disks, etc. Or firmware of hardware.
The contents of /var/run/dmesg.boot is interesting to a lot of people.
As is the output of zpool status.

As you are having trouble with swap on zfs. Is it possible to put that on
a separate disk for the test?

Ronald.