System doesn't dump

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Wed May 29 06:47:28 UTC 2013

I have a number of actions that reliably panic the system, such as
performing shutdown -p (yes I'm booting into an inconsistent file
system every time). Both with my notebook and my workstation.

However I cannot get the system to dump.

dumpdir=/var/crash
and I've tried ada0s2b, /dev/ada0s2b, label/5swap, /dev/label/5swap and AUTO
for dumpdev to no avail.

The swap partition is 16g, the machines have 8g RAM and there's plenty
of hard disk space available for /var/crash.

I'm looking for that secret, undocumented trigger, that makes the
system dump if a panic occurs. Once upon a time dumping just worked
if the swap partition was large enough. I miss those olden days.