Command line not responding

Michael Gass mgass at csbsju.edu
Sat May 18 03:02:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 07:34:36PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 17/05/2013 18:56, Michael Gass wrote:
> > Running 9.0-Stable on an i386.
> >
> > Whenever I type a command at the prompt I get
> > the output
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
> >
> > and nothing else - the command will not run. Just the
> > above output.  Commands like "ls" and "exit" work, but not much
> > else.  This happends whether I am logged in a user or as root.
> > Cannot even halt the system from the command line.
> >
> > Started to happen after trying to update the freetype2 port.
> > Got an error msg while updating libXft-2.1.14.  From that point
> > on I cannot use  the command line.
> >
> > I have no idea what to try.  Any suggestions.
>
> It's only things you installed from ports that would be affected.
> There was a problem with the freetype2 port earlier today, but it has
> been fixed now.
>
> Update your ports and try again at updating.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I updated the ports tree via portsnap and then tried installing
freetype2.  Same problem: right the various prebuild checks for
things like gcc I get the following lines

config.status: executing libtool commands
/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
*** Error code 1

Now, like you said, seems anything installed from ports will not
run on the command line. I just get the above error message instead.

--
Michael Gass
mgass at csbsju.edu