IKEv2/IPSEC "Road Warrior" VPN Tunneling?

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 13 13:51:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:57:19AM +0200, Willy Offermans wrote:
> Hello Karl and FreeBSD friends,

Hi all.

> I recall having read about racoon and roadwarrior. Have a look to
> /usr/local/share/examples/ipsec-tools/, if you have installed it. I'm also
> planning to install this on my server. However I have only little time at
> the moment. I'm also looking for examples of configuration files to work
> with.

First, ipsec-tools is for IKEv1 only, as the subject of the original
mail talks about IKEv2.

For IKEv1 (with ipsec-tools), the simplest way to do this would be to
create a remote "anonymous" and a sainfo "anonymous" section, with
"generate_policy" set to on: racoon will negociate phase 1 / phase 2,
then will generate SPD entries from peer's proposal.

Of course, this means that you'll have to trust what your peers will
negociate as traffic endpoints !

If you have some more time to spend on configuration (recommanded !),
you can specify traffic endpoints for the sainfo section: valid
endpoints (which match the sainfo) negociated by peer will work as
described upper, and other traffic endpoints will not negociate, as
racoon won't find any related sainfo.

Yvan.