Apparent fxp regression in FreeBSD 8.4-RC3

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Mon May 13 01:50:26 UTC 2013

On Sun, 12 May 2013, Glen Barber wrote:

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 10:57:44PM -0400, Michael L. Squires wrote:
>> I upgraded to FreeBSD 8.4-RC3 and noticed a problem with the fxp
>> driver on an older Supermicro single CPU single core Xeon
>> motherboard.
>>
>> [...]
>
>> Copyright (c) 1992-2013 The FreeBSD Project.
>> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>> 	The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
>> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
>> FreeBSD 8.4-PRERELEASE #45: Fri May 10 09:43:40 EDT 2013
>>     root at familysquires.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NEWGATE i386
>
> Your attached dmesg of -RC3 is not -RC3, it is 8-STABLE.  At this point,
> there have been changes between the stable/8 and releng/8.4 branches
> enough say that the two have diverged, and the stable/8 code is _not_
> what will be the 8.4-RELEASE.
>
> While your issue does concern me, it is still unclear that this is
> a problem with the upcoming 8.4-RELEASE.  Can you please try upgrading
> to the releng/8.4 branch to see if this issue persists?
>
> Glen

I installed RELENG_8_4 using cvsup (yes, I'm planning on updating) and got
8.4-BETA; this had the same behavior as 8-STABLE.

I tried booting the 8.3-RELEASE p8 kernel and got the same behavior, which
makes me wonder if I had made some earlier mistake.  I reinstalled
8.3-RELEASE p8 (world and kernel) from source and the system is now
operating normally.

The differences between the kernel file I'm using and GENERIC are that I
have options for "ipfirewall" and the "amd" driver for the AMD 53C974 and
do not have devices "esp" nor "isci" (revised amd and iscsi).  I'm going
to revise my kernel file to be more up-to-date and will test that.

I'm not having problems with two other systems, one a Tyan S4882 with 4
single-core Opterons and a Tyan S2882 with two dual-core Opterons.
Neither one uses the "fxp" driver; both are operating in x64 mode.

Mike Squires
mikes at siralan.org
UN*X at home since 1986