recommended memory for zfs

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Thu May 9 14:26:00 UTC 2013

Le 09/05/2013 15:18, Benjamin Adams a écrit :
> Hello zfs question about memory.
> I heard zfs is very ram hungry.
> Service looking to run:
> - nginx
> - postgres
> - php-fpm
> - python
>
> I have a machine with two quad core cpus but only 4 G Memory
>
> I'm looking to buy more ram now.
> What would be the recommend amount of memory for zfs across 6 drives on
> this setup?
>

> Also can 9.1 now boot to zfs from the installer?
> (no tricks for post install)

Without cache, footprint of ZFS is larger than any other filesystem but
it is really very tiny (8Mio if my memory is good). I run my server on
an Intel Atom with 2GB of RAM, with Apache22, PHP, MySQL database and
ejabberd.

If you want to get ZFS on your system at install time, there are many
scripts on the Internet, and if you want you can take mine:

http://projet.beastie.eu/?p=freebsd-zfs.git;a=blob_plain;f=zfs.sh;hb=HEAD

Hoping it will help you.

--
Florent Peterschmitt