Nullfs leaks i-nodes

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Tue May 7 23:16:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 08:35:18AM +1000, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
> [...]

Telling people "keep an eye on these sysctls" is not exactly helpful
when there isn't an understanding of what they represent -- it's akin to
people using munin or SNMP polling software to "monitoring some MIBs"
without actually knowing, truly, deep down inside, what it is they're
looking at.  (I cannot tell you how often this happens.  In fact, most
"systems monitoring" softwares/graphs/other crap I see these days tends
to suffer from exactly this)

The only thing I'm aware of is what's in vnode(9) and what I could find
here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpS7Ajnx9Q8
http://bsd-id.blogspot.com/2007/11/vnode.html

All said -- has anyone actually seen vfs.freevnodes hit 0?  On some of
my systems I've seen it reach "small numbers" (in the 3-digit range),
but would later increase (to mid-4-digit range), even after lots of
(new/unique, i.e. not previously cached) file I/O.  So the
"auto-adjusting" nature of this makes it very hard for one to say "keep
an eye on these sysctls" when the administrator does not know when
he/she should become concerned/considering increasing kern.maxvnodes.

Next, maxvnodes - numvnodes != freevnodes, which doesn't make sense to
me:

$ sysctl kern.maxvnodes vfs.freevnodes vfs.wantfreevnodes vfs.numvnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 393216
vfs.freevnodes: 51543
vfs.wantfreevnodes: 51545
vfs.numvnodes: 244625
$ expr 393216 - 244625
148591

And finally, the lack of sysctl description for vfs.wantfreevnodes is
quite bothersome:

$ sysctl -d kern.maxvnodes vfs.freevnodes vfs.wantfreevnodes
vfs.numvnodes
kern.maxvnodes: Maximum number of vnodes
vfs.freevnodes: Number of vnodes in the free list
vfs.wantfreevnodes:
vfs.numvnodes: Number of vnodes in existence

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |