/usr/src over NFS: buildworld fail

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon May 6 23:15:59 UTC 2013

Andrew Romanenko wrote:
> On 05/02/2013 01:30 AM, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Andrew Romanenko wrote:

> >> Fixed. Trouble was in Linux NFS-server.
> >> Also, thx Jeremy for the tip (ktrace + kdump)
> >> thanks, everyone
> >>
> > Coule you please provide more information on the Linux NFS-server
> > issue?
> > It might be useful if/when others run into interoperability
> > problems against a Linux NFS server.
> >
> > Thanks, rick

> Server: Linux Sabayon
> (Linux localhost.localdomain 3.8.0-sabayon #1 SMP Fri Mar 29 13:54:24
> UTC 2013 i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz GenuineIntel
> GNU/Linux)
> Package: net-fs/nfs-utils-1.2.7
>
> /etc/exports
> /home/bsd/src
> 192.168.56.1/24(rw,async,no_subtree_check,root_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=1001,fsid=1000)
>
> Client: Freebsd 9-STABLE
> (FreeBSD ion.uabsd.org 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #0 r250121: Wed
> May 1 23:38:36 EEST 2013
> root at ion.uabsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386)
>
> mount command:
> mount -t nfs -o ro,nfsv3,tcp 192.168.56.1:/home/bsd/src /usr/src
>
> Fix: add option fsid=(1000 or any number) to /etc/exports . I don't
> understand, Why fsid is so important?
Sounds like a question for the Linux NFS mailing list. All I can mention is
that most NFS servers use an fsid to uniquely identify a file system on the
server. It is often a part of the file handle.

Anyhow, thanks for letting us know. If someone reports a similar problem,
we can suggest trying adding fsid=<N> to their Linux server's export line.

Thanks, rick