multiple NFS mounts with bg,retrycount=0

Navdeep Parhar nparhar at gmail.com
Mon May 6 17:48:25 UTC 2013

I updated a FreeBSD 9-STABLE system to r250290 and noticed an NFS oddity
-- fstab entries that specify a retrycnt are mounted multiple times.

I have this in /etc/fstab:
xxxx:/remote/yyyy /local/zzzz nfs rw,bg,retrycnt=0 0 0

And this in /etc/rc.conf:
rpcbind_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
nfsuserd_flags="-domain XXXXXX"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

If I run mount immediately after the system boots up I don't see
anything mounted on /local/zzzz.  If I wait a minute or so and recheck I
see two identical mounts on /local/zzzz.

# mount | grep /local
xxxx:/remote/yyyy on /local/zzzz (nfs)
xxxx:/remote/yyyy on /local/zzzz (nfs)

It is almost as if the system tried to mount the remote FS, failed, and
then forked multiple (?) processes to retry the operation, and all of
them succeed later.  Unfortunately, I can't reboot the system for a
couple of days so I can't go looking for mount_nfs processes right after
a fresh boot.

Regards,
Navdeep