sshd didn't run after upgrade to FreeBSD 8.4

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 00:24:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
> Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Steven Hartland
>> <killing at multiplay.co.uk>  wrote:
>>>

>>> I believe Miroslav is saying he left his old but previously working
>>> sshd_config as was when updating, so its a change to the code which
>>> now fails on an empty VersionAddendum, where it previously didn't
>>> hence the problem.
>

> Yes, this is my point - I left my old and previously working sshd_config
> with empty VersionAddendum.
>

>> Err yes, your right. The proper way to specify empty VersionAddendum
>> based on some googling seems to be now:
>>

>> VersionAddendum ""
>

> This is not true, it will add two quotes to the banner:
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.1_hpn13v11 ""
>

> Default banner (no VersionAddendum in sshd_config):
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.1_hpn13v11 FreeBSD-20120901
>

> So I am fine with:
> VersionAddendum -
>
> It will print:
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.1_hpn13v11 -
>
> I don't need really empty addendum, I just don't want to show FreeBSD
> version info and empty VersionAddendum was working for me many years. Now it
> breaks sshd after final reboot on two of our upgraded servers.
>
> So Release Notes or better UPDATING entry will warn other users before the
> same mistake.
>
> Thanks to the remote management / KVM on Sun Fire and Supermicro servers
> that I didn't need to drive to the datacenter and I can fix it remotely.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

Ok, this is crazy. If you put one space after the VersionAddendum
keyword you get exactly what you want, an empty VersionAddendum
string. If there's no space but a newline right after the
VersionAddendum keyword, sshd(8) complains about the line and refuses
to start. So this is ok (without the single quotes, they are just to
show the endings of the lines):

'VersionAddendum '

But this is not:

'VersionAddendum'