Bind in FreeBSD, security advisories

Peter Maxwell peter at allicient.co.uk
Tue Jul 30 23:42:00 UTC 2013

On 30 July 2013 21:03, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> On 30.07.2013, at 19:49, Peter Maxwell <peter at allicient.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I personally prefer qmail over sendmail
> > but I wouldn't suggest qmail should be in base for the reason that
> sendmail
> > is the de facto standard on *nix shaped systems.
> >

> One can argue that BIND is the de facto standard on *nix shaped systems too

Yes, that is precisely my point, the preceding sentences to what you
quoted...

"That's not a good idea: any environment larger than a home network or SME
that relies on bind will not find it easy to migrate. It's one thing asking
people to tolerate a 2min inconvenience to make a choice to install bind
from ports (when they've can also choose bind or, say, djbdns, etc), it's
quite another to suggest to them they should be using different software,
essentially on a whim."