Bind in FreeBSD, security advisories

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Jul 30 16:01:25 UTC 2013

On 30.07.13 16:44, Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:32:44 +0200, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg>
> wrote:
>

>> Back to the topic :)
>>
>> My take on this is that removing BIND from the base today is..
>> irresponsible. First, most who use FreeBSD expect an DNS server to be
>> readily available.
>
> Interesting. What are your statistics of 'most' based on?

Unfortunately, not much objective statistics. The bsdstats sample is
rather small and obviously biased (towards people who would share their
config, mostly).

I was hoping for some usable data from the Open Resolver Project
(http://openresolverproject.org/)but there is not much useful
information for this purpose there either. It is also very unlikely a
pool would result in any meaningful data...

But here is an idea: Remove BIND from HEAD overnight and see how many
will complain ;-)
If nobody complains, don't put it back in.

Daniel