Bind in FreeBSD, security advisories

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 30 12:21:43 UTC 2013

People don't seem upset about not having a webserver, IMAP/POP daemon,
or LDAP server in base, so I don't understand what the big deal is about
removing BIND. If the concern is over the rare case when you absolutely
need a DNS recursor and there are none you can reach I suppose we should
just import Unbound. However, if you can't reach any DNS servers I
assume you can't reach the roots either, so I don't understand what a
local recursor will gain you.

I support removing BIND from base, but there's a larger conversation to
be had (again).