stopping amd causes a freeze

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 26 18:37:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de>wrote:

> Amd exhibits several very strange behaviours.
>
> a)
> During the first start it writes the wrong PID into the pidfile,
> it however still reacts to SIGTERM.
>
> b)
> After starting it again, it no longer reacts to SIGTERM.

amd does block off signals in some of its sub-processes. For instance amd
process that works as NFS server and handles amd mount points does block
off INT/TERM/CHLD/HUP. See /usr/src/contrib/amd/amd/nfs_start.c

> c)
> It appear to be no longer reacting to SIGHUP, which is required to
> tell it that the amd.map was updated.

Try using 'amq -f' which would ask amd to reload its maps via RPC and
should work regardless of whether you know the right PID.

Strangely enough amd man page does not mention SIGHUP at all.
amd/doc/am-utils.texi in the source tree does, but only when it talks about
hlfsd or about 'type:=auto' maps with 'cache' option.
Documentation on am-utils.org matches am-utils.texi.

As far as I can tell 'amq -f' is the official way to tell amd that it
should reload maps.

--Artem

> d)
> It doesn't work at all, I only get:
> # cd /media/ufs/FreeBSD_Install
> /media/ufs/FreeBSD_Install: Too many levels of symbolic links.
>
> e)
> A SIGKILL without load will terminate the process. A SIGKILL while
> there is heavy file system load panics the system.

I'll try a clean buildworld buildkernel and repeat.