FreeBSD LVS replacement

Mark Blackman mark at exonetric.com
Mon Jul 22 20:13:02 UTC 2013

On 22 Jul 2013, at 20:54, Michael Loftis <mloftis at wgops.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM, dweimer <dweimer at dweimer.net> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps CARP is what you are looking for
>> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/carp.html>
>
> Not even remotely close to the same thing.  LVS is a kernel level load
> balancer/director.  Combined with some userspace to keep the table of
> live real servers up to date it makes a very robust, very high speed
> load balancer for HTTP and non HTTP applications.  IDK of any kernel
> side stuff in FreeBSD, and I don't know that there are any "general
> purpose" replacements like LVS is but for HTTP - varnish, nginx, and
> HAProxy.  HAProxy can also do things other than HTTP.  But these are
> all user space proxies.  Not lower level like LVS where it doe packet
> rewriting/NAT.

The combination of FreeBSD pf and the FreeBSD port of relayd should buy you what you're looking for.

I believe the FreeBSD version of pf and relayd are close enough to the following tutorial assumptions.

https://calomel.org/relayd.html

You can drop CARP into the mix to get redundancy for the load balancer itself, i.e as a pair.

To be honest, it's simpler to just install a pfsense installation for the whole package though.

- Mark