stopping amd causes a freeze

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 10:07:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:50:24AM +0200, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Occasionally stopping amd freezes my system. It's a rare occurrence,
> and I haven't found a reliable way to reproduce it.
>
> It's also a real freeze, so there's no way to get into the debugger
> or grab a core dump. I only can perform the 4 seconds hard shutdown to
> revive the system.
>
> I run amd through sysutils/automounter, which is a scripting solution
> that generates an amd.map file based on encountered devices and devd
> events. The SIGHUP it sends to amd to tell it the map file was updated
> does not cause problems, only a SIGKILL may cause the freeze.
>
> Nothing was mounted (by amd) during the last freeze.
>
> I don't see any angle to tackle this, but I'm throwing it out here
> any way, in the hopes that someone actually has an idea how to approach
> the issue.

Are you sure that the machine did not paniced ?  Do you have serial console ?

The amd(8) locks itself into memory, most likely due to the fear of
deadlock. There are some known issues with user wirings in stable/9.
If the problem you see is indeed due to wiring, you might try to apply
r253187-r253191.