experience with 9.2-PRERELEASE

John Reynolds johnjen at reynoldsnet.org
Thu Jul 18 00:41:24 UTC 2013

Hello all, I have some feedback for the recently prepared snapshot of
9.2-RELEASE.

I've been trying like crazy to get the 9x series code installed on a
brand new workstation I'm building. It consists of a brand new ASRock
motherboard and haswell i7-4770k processor, Z87 chipset. I tried at
first to install 9.1-RELEASE. it worked (after I learned a bit about the
new installer--I have used FreeBSD "forever" but have been "out of it"
in terms of this list and other going's on for about a year due to
workload), but upon booting I was getting "timeout" errors

ahcich0: Timeout on slot xx port 0
ahcich0: is 000000000 cs 00000000 ss e0000000 rs e0000000 tfd 40 serr
00000000 cmd 0004df17

to the SSD that I used as the primary hard drive. So, then I figured I
would try a more recent snapshot hoping that something had been spotted
and fixed already. I got the 9.2-PRERELEASE amd64 snapshot and tried to
install it. However, I couldn't even get past the first screen of the
install because of these messages:

ugen0.2: (Unknown) at usbus0 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

and the keyboard was non-functional. It just sat there spewing these
errors about 1 per second.

So, even though I'm having some sort of ahci "timeout" issue with this
hardware and 9.1-RELEASE, it certainly appears that something has
zig-zagged in the usb stack in this 9.2-PRELEASE snapshot because I
can't even get through the install program. :(. Same hardware, same
everything.

I also tried the 9.2-PRELEASE i386 snapshot for giggles. Same result.

The final blow to my sanity was when I rolled back and tried to install
8.4-RELEASE and sysinstall couldn't make the disk devices after I hit
'W' in the disk label editor to commit my changes. So, I'm wondering
generically are people having problems with SSD's in FreeBSD? In this
hardware I have not tried using a traditional SATA disk yet.

But just thought I would report that 9.2-PRERELEASE can't even get
through install on this H/W where 9.1 could.........

-Jr