[SOLVED] Re: Shutdown problem with an USB memory stick as ZFS cache device

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Jul 17 15:30:02 UTC 2013

Maurizio Vairani wrote:
> On 17/07/2013 11:50, Ronald Klop wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:27:09 +0200, Maurizio Vairani
> > <maurizio.vairani at cloverinformatica.it> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>

> >> on a Compaq Presario laptop I have just installed the latest stable
> >>

> >> #uname -a
> >>
> >> FreeBSD presario 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jul 16
> >> 16:32:39 CEST 2013     root at presario:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> >>

> >> For speed up the compilation I have added to the pool, tank0,  a
> >> SanDisk memory stick as cache device with the command:
> >>

> >> # zpool add tank0 cache /dev/da0
> >>

> >> But when I shutdown the laptop the process will halt with this screen
> >> shot:
> >>

> >> http://www.dump-it.fr/freebsd-screen-shot/2f9169f18c7c77e52e873580f9c2d4bf.jpg.html
> >>

> >> and I need to press the power button for more than 4 seconds to
> >> switch off the laptop.
> >>
> >> The problem is always reproducible.
> >
> > Does sysctl hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1 help?
> >
> > Ronald.
> Thank you Ronald it works !
>
> In /boot/loader.conf added the line
> hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1
>
> Maurizio

I wonder (from ignorance as I dont use ZFS yet),
if that merely masks the symptom or cures the fault ?

Presumably one should use a ZFS command to disassociate whatever
might have the cache open ?  (in case something might need to be
written out from cache, if it was a writeable cache ?)

I too had a USB shutdown problem (non ZFS, now solved) & several people
made useful comments on shutdown scripts etc, so I'm cross referencing:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2013-July/012803.html

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".