ipv6_addrs_IF aliases in rc.conf(5)

Thomas Steen Rasmussen thomas at gibfest.dk
Wed Jul 17 11:48:49 UTC 2013

On 17-07-2013 13:41, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013, at 6:09, Thomas Steen Rasmussen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does this work on stable/9 or only on current ? If not, are there
>> any plans to MFC ? I ask because I don't see the
>> ifconfig_IF_aliases syntax in /etc/defaults/rc.conf on a newly
>> built stable/9 box.
>>
> It's there in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, but maybe not very obvious:
>
> #ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 127.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffffff" # Sample
> alias entry.
>
> It is also in the Handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/configtuning-virtual-hosts.html
Hello,

There is a big difference between ifconfig_IF_aliasN which is v4
only and requires a line for each IP, and must be continous,
meaning that _alias1, _alias2, _alias4 wont work - and the new
fancy ifconfig_IF_aliases which accepts both address families
and also ranges and stuff.

I was asking about the new _aliases form.

Thanks!

/Thomas Steen Rasmussen