Shutdown problem with an USB memory stick as ZFS cache device

Maurizio Vairani maurizio.vairani at cloverinformatica.it
Wed Jul 17 08:28:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

on a Compaq Presario laptop I have just installed the latest stable

#uname -a

FreeBSD presario 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue Jul 16
16:32:39 CEST 2013     root at presario:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

For speed up the compilation I have added to the pool, tank0,  a SanDisk
memory stick as cache device with the command:

# zpool add tank0 cache /dev/da0

But when I shutdown the laptop the process will halt with this screen shot:

http://www.dump-it.fr/freebsd-screen-shot/2f9169f18c7c77e52e873580f9c2d4bf.jpg.html

and I need to press the power button for more than 4 seconds to switch
off the laptop.

The problem is always reproducible.

Regards

Maurizio