status of autotuning freebsd for 9.2

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 09:08:27 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andre Oppermann" <andre at freebsd.org>

> On 08.07.2013 16:37, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes.  Please give me your proposed changes and I'll stand up a machine and give feedback.
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/mfc-autotuning-20130708.diff
>
> Any feedback from testers on this?  The MFC window is closing soon.

Few things I've noticed most of which look like issues against the original
patch and not the MFC but worth mentioning.

1. You've introduced a new tunable kern.maxmbufmem which is autosized but
   doesnt seem to be exposed via a sysctl so it looks like there is no way
   to determine what its actually set to?
2. There's a missmatch between the tuneable kern.ipc.nmbufs in tunable_mbinit
   and the sysctl kern.ipc.nmbuf i.e. no 's'.
3. Should kern.maxmbufmem be kern.ipc.maxmbufmem to sit along side all of
   the other sysctls?
4. style issues:
* @@ -178,11 +202,13 @@
  if (newnmbjumbo9 > nmbjumbo9&&

Finally out of interest what made us arrive at the various defaults for each
type as it looks like the ratios have changed?

    Regards
    Steve