Problems booting into ZFS on recent stable/9

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 1 19:51:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 02:49:35PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

>   I had a sparc64 (Netra X1) running a stable/9 from late March 2013.  Actually, the kernel may've been a bit newer than that as I was working with folks to diagnose and repair some Netra-X1 specific issues.  But, ZFS worked fine.  I have two pools, zroot as a RAID1 (using equally sized partitions at the front of two large disks), and a zdata that is a large pool of the remaining space of both disks concatenated together.
>
>   After installing a kernel from a build of [yesterday's] stable/9 today, I now get a failure when trying to boot, which can be seen at the end of this clip from the end of the boot messages below.
>
>   Is anyone aware of a change in recent months that might've caused this, or have any idea what I may've done wrong?  In google'ing I've seen a few posts talking about ways to import the zfs pool to adjust the cache file, but I'm not sure if that is or isn't my problem.  I don't think I did anything specific with configuring cache files for either pool.
>
>   Thoughts are welcome.  I don't have physical access to the machine for quite a few more hours, but when I do should be able to net-boot into the earlier freebsd stable/9 that I originally installed onto this host, and can try a few more things.
>
>                                     - Chris
>

> atapci0: <AcerLabs M5229 UDMA66 controller> port 0x10200-0x10207,0x10218-0x1021b,0x10210-0x10217,0x10208-0x1020b,0x10220-0x1022f at device 13.0 on pci0
> atapci0: using PIO transfers above 137GB as workaround for 48bit DMA access bug, expect reduced performance
> ata2: <ATA channel> at channel 0 on atapci0
> ata3: <ATA channel> at channel 1 on atapci0
> rtc0: <Real-Time Clock> at port 0x70-0x71 on isa0
> uart0: <16550 or compatible> at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 43 on isa0
> uart0: console (9600,n,8,1)
> uart1: <16550 or compatible> at port 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 43 on isa0
> ZFS NOTICE: Prefetch is disabled by default if less than 4GB of RAM is present;
>             to enable, add "vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=0" to /boot/loader.conf.
> ZFS filesystem version: 5
> ZFS storage pool version: features support (5000)
> Timecounter "tick" frequency 500000000 Hz quality 1000
> Event timer "tick" frequency 500000000 Hz quality 1000
> Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
> usbus0: 12Mbps Full Speed USB v1.0
> Root mount waiting for: usbus0
> ugen0.1: <AcerLabs> at usbus0
> uhub0: <AcerLabs OHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus0
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> Trying to mount root from zfs:zroot []...
> Mounting from zfs:zroot failed with error 2.
>
> Loader variables:
>   vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:zroot

What is the interface that the disk(s) that ZFS are on?  If it's the
AcerLabs ATA controller, then there are no disks found.  There is an
earlier ATA bus (at a guess from the fact ata2 and ata3 are shown above),
however I don't see any disks detected.  Normally ATA and SCSI/SAS disks
are probed asynchronously near the end of the boot and that appears
to be missing

Gary