ZFS Panic after freebsd-update

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 18:57:22 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Sipe" <cscotts at gmail.com>
> So I realize that neither 8.2-RELEASE or 8.4-RELEASE are stable, but I
> ultimately wasn't sure where the right place to go for discuss 8.4 is?
> Beyond the FS mailing list, was there a better place for my question? I'll
> provide the other requested information (zfs outputs, etc) to wherever
> would be best.
>
> This is a production machine (has been since late 2010) and after tweaking
> some ZFS settings initially has been totally stable. I wasn't incredibly
> closely involved in the initial configuration, but I've done at least one
> binary freebsd-update previously.
>
> Before this computer I had always done source upgrades. ZFS (and the
> thought of a panic like the one I saw this weekend!) made me leery of doing
> that. We're a small business--we have this server, an offsite backup
> server, and a firewall box. I understand that issues like this are are
> going to happen when I don't have a dedicated testing box, I just like to
> try to minimize them and keep them to weekends!
>
> It sounds like my best bet might be to add a new UFS disk, do a clean
> install of 9.1 onto that disk, and then import my existing ZFS pool?

There should be no reason why 8.4-RELEASE shouldn't work fine.

Yes ZFS is continuously improving and these fixes / enhancements first hit
head / current and are then MFC'ed back to stable/9 & stable/8, but that
doesn't mean the release branches should be avoided.

If you can I would try booting from a 8.4-RELEASE cdrom / iso to see
if it can successfully read the pool as this could eliminate out of sync
kernel / world issues.

    Regards
    Steve