pkgng and updated packages

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 28 13:52:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:51:20AM +0100, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run my own pkgng repo (via poudriere) and it seems to work great.
> However, I've got more questions...

Glad to hear it works well :)

>  - when PHP got updated to 5.3.21 (from 5.3.20), all the other stuff
>    that depends on it (PECL-*, pear-*) got rebuilt, too.
>    (In my ports-tree, I just imported the update of PHP and nothing
>    else)
>  - but on the client, when I ran pkg upgrade, only the php-packages got
>    upgraded. Is that correct? Shouldn't it also update the PECL and pear
>    packages?

What happen is that poudriere always want to make sure that you have sane
packages, so what it does is rebuilding everything that depends on something
that has been upgraded, so that it always have working packages and do not fall
into the pcre/png/$pickyourfavorite problem when shlib are bumped and not all
the need revision bump has be done.

pkg itself does not care about that and trust the revision number to only what
as changed is really updated. So force updating everything that depends on php a
simple pkg install -fR php should do it correctly for you.

>  - how do I re-install all packages? I will soon upgrade some systems
>    from 8.3 to 9.1 and I want to reduce the number of systems I build
>    packages for. Before pkgng, I would just pkg_delete everything then
>    re-install and do a diff on the output of pkg_info |cut -f 1 -d " ".
>    I though there might be an easier way...

pkg upgrade -f will upgrade everything. to avoid you to shoot yourself when
upgrading from 8.3 to 9.1 we also provide a pkg-static binary so that even if
pkg itself is linked against libraries that has disappeared in 9.1 you can still
reisntall everything.

>  - is there a make.conf switch to completely disable pkg_* or do I have
>    to remove the binaries myself? Will they re-appear after a
>    freebsd-update -r or even after a simple freebsd-update? If I install
>    postfix, there is a switch in rc.conf do disable it completely and I
>    think there should be something similar.

WITHOUT_PKGTOOLS will remove all the pkg_* tools if you are building world, but
nothing like this in binary upgrade like freebsd-update what you can do is
manually rm /usr/sbin/pkg_*

regards,
Bapt