svn - but smaller?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Mon Jan 28 06:22:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-Jan-27 21:54:44 -0600, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>On 01/27/2013 09:24 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>> Thank you for adding the ctm bits in the page, I'm deeply intrigued by possibly solving this problem with bits *already* in base?!!
>Suppose you want to keep up with 9.x-stable.  Then you look at the ftp
>site ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/src-9/, look at the latest
>xEmpty file, and fetch it.  Then create an empty directory /usr/src, and
>then do
>cd /usr/src && ctm the-xEmpty-file-you-downloaded.
>No need to decompress the file first.
>Then fetch from the same web site all the files whose number is greater
>than the xEmpty file you downloaded and do
>cd /usr/src && ctm the-rest-of-the-files*

I tracked the CVS repo for at least 10 years using a perl script I
wrote.  It checks the local .ctm_status and then fetches successive
deltas until the fetch fails.  A second script ran ctm on the
downloaded deltas to update my local CVS repo.  If there's sufficient
interest, I could make the scripts available.

At $ex-work, I had an email subscription and had a script setup to
run the emails through gpg and feed them into gpg.  Unfortunately,
I can't distribute that script.

>Now, if you want something not offered by ctm (e.g. 8.2-release), then
>you need to use svn.

Or freebsd-update.

The biggest downside of CTM ishat you can't pick arbitrary deltas -
you can only fetch the head of pre-configured branches.  The only
way to get an older tree is to not apply deltas (ZFS snapshots are
the best work-around here).

--
Peter Jeremy