Spontaneous reboots on Intel i5 and FreeBSD 9.0

Marin Atanasov Nikolov dnaeon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:13:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> On 25.01.13 21:44, Marin Atanasov Nikolov wrote:
>
>> Btw, after removing all ZFS snapshots today (more than a 1k) the system
>> is still running (not something I can say for the past few days where I've
>> seen multiple reboots a day).. But it's still early to say that the
>> snapshots might be causing this :)
>>

> Might be. If you have something in your daily scripts that traverses each
> and every snapshot (filesystem). I believe this issue with ZFS was fixed
> some time ago. But you might have leftover config files that still trigger
> it.
>
> You could have tried disabling some of the daily scripts to see which one
> triggers the problem.

Hey Daniel,

I do have rolling ZFS snapshots using zfSnap - daily, weekly and monthly
snapshots are managed by zfSnap. Over the past few months I've accumulated
more than 1k of snapshots, but that was not a problem until very recently.
Maybe the high number of snapshots accumulated in the time caused the
behaviour I'm seeing now.

Anyway, I've cleaned up all snapshots now and will soon know if that was
the root cause or not.

Thanks for feedback :)

Regards,
Marin