Spontaneous reboots on Intel i5 and FreeBSD 9.0

Marin Atanasov Nikolov dnaeon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:44:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to get daily(ish) lockups with my server.

Hey Chris,

> I guess the drives are mirrored?  Try yanking one for a bit (leave the
> computer on) and try it in another computer.

Yep, 2 disks each of 1Tb in a mirror.

> I tried that, and only one of them failed, proving a bad drive.  Seagate
> replaced it.

In the past days I have replaced the disks with brand new and excluded them
from the list of possible root causes :)

> This was 2TB, 16G RAM.

Have you done any ZFS tuning on the system? I find that the FreeBSD
ZFSTuningGuide page suggests tuning only for i386. Am I right to assume
that I don't need any tuning for amd64, which is my case?

Also is it normal that is I get 5.2Gb usage in ARC on a 8Gb system (not
really sure)?

Btw, after removing all ZFS snapshots today (more than a 1k) the system is
still running (not something I can say for the past few days where I've
seen multiple reboots a day).. But it's still early to say that the
snapshots might be causing this :)

Thanks again,
Marin

--