svn - but smaller?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Jan 24 09:45:03 UTC 2013

Am Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:57:17 -0800
schrieb 'Jeremy Chadwick' <jdc at koitsu.org>:

> Though your OPTIONS recommendations work for you, they do not work for
> everyone.  Some people sit behind firewalls where HTTP or HTTPS are
> the only viable means (native SVN or SVN+SSH will not work for
> them).

But then, cvsup/csup didn't work either, right?
So, what did those people do in the days of cvsup?

As for the whole dependency/license nightmare - there is some truth[1]
in that and I'm sure, the people "in charge" are aware of it.

I was always under the assumption that the switch to svn was more of a
temporary stopgap solution where the benefits (progress of the FreeBSD
project) out-weighted the deficiencies.
The migration to a "better system" is supposed to be easier from svn
than cvs...

[1] I have the need to have mod_dav_svn in my subversion-package
(because a customer needs it and I only want to maintain one
pkgng-repo). Thus, every time svn is installed, apache gets pulled in,
too. Awesome.