svn - but smaller?

Dewayne dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Thu Jan 24 07:36:34 UTC 2013

The objective is to return to a base build of FreeBSD that performs the expected task of being able to pull source, without having
to acquire a port.  Regardless of our individual solutions/workarounds, the task is to pull and maintain source.

Is the discussion going to result in something like svn-lite that enters into the /usr/src/contrib along with the responsibilities
associated with maintaining it?  And then we need to take into consideration of being overwriting the "base svn" with a full svn
package, if required by the user/admin.

The issue involves policy decisions along with ongoing support load, rather than just a good technical solution; which as we've seen
in earlier discussions, is sorely needed by the folks doing the development/maintenance.

In the meantime, ftp isn't really workable for ongoing updates, and rsync is GPL'ed and can't be in the base system.

I build svn from ports with all options off except for: ENHANCED_KEYWORD P4_STYLE_MARKERS STATIC which results in a 4.2MB svn
program. Suites me but doesn't address the underlying problem - and I don't think that the plan is to make FreeBSD dependent upon
the ports system (for subversion)

Regards, Dewayne.