svn - but smaller?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Wed Jan 23 21:28:44 UTC 2013

(Please keep me CC'd as I'm not subscribed to the list)

> Don't confuse the excessive ports default settings as dependencies.
> You can make a quite mean and lean svn client.  I did a 100%
> BSD-license-compatible src/contrib/svn style proof-of-concept back
> when we were planning what to do.  Things like gdbm and bdb are not
> required and are license contamination that we don't need.  But that's
> the fault of the port, not a fundamental property of using svn.

While I do understand what you're saying, the Oracle DB and GDBM
actually aren't the "the fault of the port", they're a result of what
has been eluded to as a build cluster configuration problem or something
along those lines.

I brought up the dependency list mismatch in subversion.tbz on the
package servers (ftp.freebsd.org) in mid November 2012; building
from actual source (the port itself) did not pull in any of these
dependencies:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-November/079589.html

lev@ (port maintainer) had this to say:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-November/079592.html

Quote:

>>>  They  weren't  enabled  for  1.7.6  too,  so  it  is  strange,  that
>>> pointyhat-builded package require it. I need to investigate this.

And that still seems to be the case today, as Mike Tancsa pointed out:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-January/071804.html

What remains on ftp.freebsd.org is still the same today:

$ ftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/
ftp> dir subversion*
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,152,184,73,242,194).
150 Here comes the directory listing.
lrwxr-xr-x    1 967      100            32 Oct 14 14:53 subversion-java.tbz -> ../All/subversion-java-1.7.6.tbz
lrwxr-xr-x    1 967      100            27 Oct 13 13:24 subversion.tbz -> ../All/subversion-1.7.6.tbz
lrwxr-xr-x    1 967      100            28 Oct 14 01:54 subversion16.tbz -> ../All/subversion-1.6.18.tbz
226 Directory send OK.

I'm left to believe lev@ hasn't had the cycles to investigate this,
which is perfectly fine -- however given the importance of SVN at this
point in FreeBSD's life, some other committer or whoever is responsible
for the build cluster should have stepped up to the plate to figure this
out, given how the *entire infrastructure* is now dependent upon this
one thing.  :-/

I can talk about the remaining dependencies that usually concern people
(those are commonly sqlite3, expat, and apr) if required, but for now
I'll stay squelched.

And just as a footnote point: respectfully do not tell me "this is a
great opportunity to try pkgng".  Please stay focused on the actual
problem.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |