time issues and ZFS

Ryan Stone rysto32 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:53:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Julian Stecklina <
jsteckli at os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Does anyone know why the LAPIC is given a lower priority than HPET in
> this case? If you have an LAPIC, it should always be prefered to HPET,
> unless something is seriously wrong with it...

On many processors the lapic timer does not work correctly in states lower
than C1.  There are many processors that will automatically enter a "C1E"
mode when the processor is idle, and in that state I have seen the lapic
timer run slower than the programmed frequency, causing time to move to
slowly on idle FreeBSD systems.