Failsafe on kernel panic

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Thu Jan 17 07:22:45 UTC 2013

Quoth Sami Halabi <sodynet1 at gmail.com>:
> בתאריך 17 בינו 2013 05:18, מאת "Ian Lepore" <ian at freebsd.org>:
> >
> > From src/sys/conf/NOTES, this may be what you're looking for...
> >
> > #
> > # Don't enter the debugger for a panic. Intended for unattended operation
> > # where you may want to enter the debugger from the console, but still want
> > # the machine to recover from a panic.
> > #
> > options         KDB_UNATTENDED
> >
> > But I think it only has meaning if you have option KDB in effect,
> > otherwise it should just reboot itself after a 15 second pause.
>
> Its only a kernel option? There is no flag to pass to the loader?

    ~% sysctl -ad | grep panic
    kern.stop_scheduler_on_panic: stop scheduler upon entering panic
    kern.sync_on_panic: Do a sync before rebooting from a panic
    debug.trace_on_panic: Print stack trace on kernel panic
    debug.debugger_on_panic: Run debugger on kernel panic
    debug.kdb.panic: set to panic the kernel
    machdep.enable_panic_key: Enable panic via keypress specified in kbdmap(5)
    machdep.panic_on_nmi: Panic on NMI

These are also tunables which can be set in /boot/loader.conf or at the
loader prompt.

Ben