Deleting the top-level ZFS file system (without affecting its children)

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Sat Jan 12 21:25:18 UTC 2013

Hello xenophon+freebsd,

>> Why would rm -rf /oldroot/* not return all the allocated space?
>> I can only think of snapshots keeping the space allocated, but
>> you can remove those too. Can you elaborate on that?

> This will free space in the file system (as shown by df), but it won't
> return the space to the pool.  It looks like ZFS won't let you shrink
> file systems yet.

As far as I understand your question - yes it will return the space.

Unless you explicitly told ZFS to reserve specific amount of space it
takes as much space as given filesystems currently needs. There's no
expanding/shrinking in ZFS because ZFS filesystems are not
partitioning the disk in the general meaning of that word.

The ZFS filesystems behave in a very similar way to directories.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda at takeda.tk

-- Press any key... no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!