Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Sat Jan 5 03:31:52 UTC 2013

Perry, Thanks for the pointer I did not consider freebsd-update as the first paragraph of the description only mentions binary
updates. I'll need to take a closer look.

Kimmo, I agree and usually prefer to distribute binaries as a package. However it includes other binaries and doc etc that aren't
required to maintain source.  The emphasise was on lightweight.  To accomplish the task of source maintenance (get and update) then
a static svn image is all that's required.

Erich, You're right, csup is an elegant and proven solution which I've used for years. We could continue using it for the life of
RELENG_9 but the change to svn becomes mandatory for 10. There has been a lot of discussion in this and other threads, that there is
more effort involved in maintaining sources than developers and contributors wish to spend when an alternative presents itself.  I'd
rather their generous contribution of time be spent of fixing or enhancing our OS.

The only "down-side" that I've noticed is that csup would replace all files under /usr/src which I modified (a good thing).  Svn
does not.  Where I've patched a source and there's, it needs to be told to "svn --accept tf update /usr/src" to replace a change; so
my tools can repatch.  If there's no conflict svn doesn't look at the local files, and the patched files are unchanged.  I'm sure
that there are better ways, but I care about svn only to the extent that I can maintain FreeBSD sources.

ref:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=freebsd-update&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.1-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

Regards, Dewayne
PS I'm offsite for next 5 days so apologies in advance for delay responding.