IPMI serial console

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Feb 28 04:42:55 UTC 2013

On 23/02/2013, at 24:36, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:
> boot_multicons="YES"
> hint.uart.0.flags="0x0"
> hint.uart.2.at="isa"
> hint.uart.2.port="0x3E8"
> #hint.uart.2.disabled="0"
> hint.uart.2.flags="0x30"
> =====

I updated the BIOS & IPMI fiwmare and now it works. Thanks!

Interestingly if you don't have hint.uart.0.flags="0x0" then it goes weird and stuff comes out the video console at 1bps..

And it seems to pick uart.0 as the console even though I also put comconsole_port in there. So it seems that for 9.1 at least comconsole_port doesn't DTRT. I commented it out but left the rest of the UART hints and things still worked.

> I don't know whether all of that is needed, but, as you can see from the various commented-out lines, it was a configuration I "arrived at" that works. :-)

Yep, thanks again for taking the time as it works for me too.

> Usually, I have the VGA console take precedence.  In that case, I get messages on both the VGA console and the IPMI SOL console during the BIOS screen, loader, and kernel boot messages but then only messages on the VGA console during the rc.d boot phase.  I have a serial console enabled in /etc/ttys, so I get output (e.g., getty login) on the IPMI SOL when that is eventually spawned.  If I want to have the serial
> console take precedence, I usually escape to the loader prompt (via ESC at the loader menu) and issue a "set console="comconsole,vidconsole"" command.  Then, the rc.d boot output goes to the serial console and not the VGA console.  (It would be nice to have rc.d init scripts output go to both consoles, but I don't know whether that is possible.)

I guess the rc.d stuff goes out to whatever device is the nominal console, rather than to the logical console which then splits the output to all of the physical devices attached to it.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum