watchdogs

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Tue Feb 26 18:32:36 UTC 2013

Hi.

On 22.02.2013 22:47, Mark Atkinson wrote:
> I just want to /metoo that I have 32bit/i386 box running zfs, pf and
> - -current that is hardlocking randomly (usually has an uptime for a few
> days to a couple weeks).   SW_WATCHDOG won't fire when it locks so it
> must be locking pretty fast.
>
> I just noticed that ichwd will load on this box, so I'll try that
> instead, but now I'm wondering if the SW_WATCHDOG kernel will
> interfere or rather if watchdogd is smart enough to handle both?
>
> This box used to occasionally panic on the ZFS stack panic so I did
> the KSTACK_PAGES=4 change to the kernel and now it just hardlocks.
> I'm not saying they are related.

I also have an 32-bit box running zfs/pf, and it's pretty stable (though
I'm knoking on wood right now :) ):

[emz at witchdoctor:~]> uptime
23:25  up 291 days, 15:44, 1 user, load averages: 0,04 0,04 0,00

but it's running 8.2-STABLE:

8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #0: Tue Sep 20 19:24:35 YEKST 2011

I've also stopped using zfs swap, I'm still not sure whether this added
some stability or not, but still. To be honest it's running without any
swap last 291 days. :P
This machine has only 2 gigs of ram. It's a file storage, dozens of
users use it. I've seen some zfs panicks, I've added options
KVA_PAGES=512, and it's working like that. So maybe you should try this.

I should also say that it's pf is simple and basic (a couple of
pass/block rules, nothing complicated).

Eugene.