IPMI serial console

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 26 12:47:17 UTC 2013

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:42:08 pm Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 22/02/2013, at 8:53, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> I also tried booting with '-D -h -S 115200' but nothing either.
> >
> > Sorry, those should be 'comconsole_speed' and 'comconsole_port'.  Also,
you
> > should be able to get the loader prompt working if you enter those by hand
> > using an IPMI KVM or some such.
>

> No luck with that either :(
>
> The IPMI serial console works for the BIOS & loader so I guess the
comconsole parts work, however the kernel doesn't seem to use it even with '-D
-h'.

> The uart(4) flags are correct (I believe)
> uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
> uart1: <16550 or compatible> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
> uart2: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 flags 0x30 on acpi0

The way this works with the kernel is that the loader has to be setting a
hw.uart.console hint based on comconsole_port.  The hint.uart.X.flags settings
are completely ignored for this.  Also, for 9.1, you must set the speed before
you set the port (so the order of lines in loader.conf matters), or
hw.uart.console will tell the kernel to use 9600 instead of 115200.

--
John Baldwin