RELENG_8: amdtemp module and newer CPUs not working. MFC?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at getmail.no
Fri Feb 22 08:43:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:29:05 -0800 (PST)
Don Lewis <truckman at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Updating amdtemp is on my TODO list.  It has some issues even on
> -CURRENT.  This is kind of far down my priority list because on most of
> my AMD machines, I can also get the temperature without amdtemp:
>
> % sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 30.0C

In addition to what has already been mentioned in this thread, on most of *my*
AMD machines hw.acpi.thernal yields nothing. Typical example:
root at kg-quiet# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature'
root at kg-quiet# sysctl hw.acpi.thermal
sysctl: unknown oid 'hw.acpi.thermal'

Typically, hw.acpi doesn't contain useful data:
root at kg-quiet# sysctl hw.acpi
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3